Bogus callers operating in Kenton. We would like to remind residents to exercise caution when opening the door to strangers.
The Metropolitan Police have the following advice:
Bogus callers, who maybe any age and appearance, male or female, aim to trick or worry you into leaving your house or letting them in, by making up stories. they may pose as tradesmen or as water, electricity or gas board workers, or as council officials or police officers.
You can prevent this type of crime if you take the following precautions:
1. Think before you open the door – use your chain and spy hole or look out of the window to see if you recognise them.
2. Ask callers for proof of identity and check it. If you are unsure, phone the company the caller claims to represent – use the phone number in the phone book and not on the identity card.
3. Utilities companies now offer a password identification system. Any caller from one of these companies should be able to give a pre-arranged password as additional proof of identity.
4. If you are in any doubt, don’t let them in. Ask the caller to come back later and arrange for a friend, relative or neighbour to be present on their return.
5. If you are still worried dial 999 immediately and ask for the police.
We are grateful to receive reports of crime in the neighbourhood so we can alert residents to be extra vigilant.
SHIPPING CONTAINER ON HARROW DISTRICY MASSONIC CENTER GROUNDS
Northwick Circle residents, please be aware that the blue storage container on The Masonic Lodge grounds is temporary.
The centre secretary, whom I spoke to, confirmed that the container is used for storage whilst the roof is being repaired.